About the role
Factor[e] Ventures is seeking an Associate to add to our global team. The position will be based in Nairobi. The successful candidate will have a strong finance and early-stage investment background and solid academic qualifications in a relevant business or finance, social science, engineering, or scientific field. In addition, candidates with technology or innovation and start-up company experience are preferred. The Associate position is expected to require 25% travel to other emerging markets and the United States for evaluation of venture opportunities, venture support, and working in-person with Factor[e] global team members.
The Associate will be a key member of our team in Africa. The Associate will work to further Factor[e]’s mission to improve lives in the developing world through increased access to sustainable energy and related services. He/she/they will support Factor[e]’s overall investment strategy and process, including deal sourcing, pipeline generation, and investment thesis development. He/she/they will also support multiple portfolio companies, providing active and frequent guidance in relation to product development, technology de-risking, team buildout, and execution of co-developed plans.
This position reports to a Director at Factor[e] Ventures.
Roles and Responsibilities
- – Support deal sourcing, working up of investment opportunities, and presentation of deals to Factor[e]’s Investment Committee.
- – Build financial and investment models for deals and inform financial/commercial investment strategy.
- – Support portfolio companies by advancing strategic planning for company growth, and engaging in business model and operational design.
- – Develop an actionable network of entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, and sector leaders to advance Factor[e]’s work across its portfolio and geographies. As part of this work, the Associate will work to deepen Factor[e]’s network of African entrepreneurs and sourcing nodes of entrepreneurs from the continent.
- – 5+ years of direct experience working in finance or investment, ideally venture capital.
- – Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, or a related field.
- – Demonstrated financial or other investment modeling skills.
- – Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including the global Factor[e] team and Board of Directors, portfolio company executives, external partners, and other collaborators.
- – Comfortable switching between working autonomously and in groups depending on the task
- – Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude .
- – Eagerness to spend time in the field in the developing economies to build an understanding of how a technology or business can impact customers and end-users.
- – Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks efficiently, without sacrificing work quality.
- – Strong written and verbal English and strong presentation skills.
- – MBA or similar advanced degree.
- – Prior experience in technology or innovation roles and demonstrated technical literacy.
- – Experience in ag, energy, mobility or fintech sectors.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team to
email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Investment Associate”.