About Factor[e] Ventures
Factor[e] Ventures is a global impact investment firm with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Fort Collins, Colorado, and London, UK. Factor[e] identifies, validates, de-risks, builds, and invests in scalable, high impact technology ventures that can help drive development through access to energy, agriculture, transportation, and smart infrastructure. We’re very engaged post-investment, helping our ventures develop the strategies, hone the technologies, build the teams, and raise the funds they need to achieve impact at scale.
To this end, Factor[e] is building a new venture studio in Africa. The mission of the venture studio is to build high impact, commercially viable ventures in Energy, Agriculture, Mobility and Waste that are addressing some of Sub-Saharan Africa’s greatest income inequality and climate challenges.
Business Strategy Associate, Factor[e] Ventures
Nairobi, Kenya – Full-time
About the Role
We are looking for a highly skilled Business Strategy Associate (BSA) to join our team and work closely with leadership to build and execute the venture studio strategy. The Business Strategy Associate will report to the Partner and Chief Venture Builder and will have the opportunity to work with different teams within the platform. More specifically, BSAs will conduct research to inform strategic decisions, scope and execute strategic initiatives/projects, advance key partnerships and support leadership. Business Strategy Associates will use rigorous, data driven insights to make project recommendations and will own projects through the entire process from project scoping and execution to post project reflection. .
To succeed in this role, the ideal BSA candidate will have experience working in an entrepreneurial environment in Africa, strong project management and business analysis skills, excellent communication skills, and ability to execute and manage multiple competing priorities. All venture studio team members must also be committed to a missiondriven, collaborative, open and high performing team culture within the studio.
This position will be based in the Factor[e] office in Nairobi, Kenya, and will work closely with our team and partners across Africa. Some domestic and pan-African travel may be required.
For successful Business Strategy Associates candidates, this opportunity provides a unique ability to create impact, work closely with Factor[e] leadership, be an early member of an entrepreneurial start up team in Africa and work on a diverse range of mission-critical projects within the venture studio. In the future, high performing BSAs will have access to professional development and career growth opportunities within Factor[e] or the broader ecosystem.
- – Research & Business Analysis
Conduct business relevant research and provide quantitative analysis on data sets to inform strategic decisions within the studio:
- o Support with the development of the overall venture studio strategy
- o Conduct rigorous, but efficient primary and secondary research on topics strategically relevant to the venture studio
- o Provide quantitative and qualitative analysis0
- o Synthesize and communicate insights to inform strategy
- o Write white papers, summaries and reports, as needed
- – Strategic Project Management
Scope and execute strategic projects to support and accelerate the development, growth and impact of the venture studio, including:
- o Scope projects with input from key stakeholders
- o Create project plans and budgets
- o Lead and/or oversee execution of project plan and measure progress towards goals
- o Drive rigorous, high velocity project decisions with appropriate team members/stakeholders as needed. Conduct analysis of different strategic decisions or pathways and present to leadership with recommendations
- o Document project progress and learnings through retrospectives to evaluate impact
- o Ensure ongoing execution of project or initiative at end of contract
- – Leadership and Stakeholder Support
Provide ongoing strategic support to leadership, key partners, and stakeholders:
- o Join meetings, document and send follow up as appropriate with key partners
- o Create content for key partners and stakeholders as needed to raise capital, increase awareness about the venture studio and deepen relationships with investors, partners and potential employees
- o Support the development of external venture studio materials and communication strategy
- o Admin support as needed and appropriate based on candidate and team priorities
Note: All Business Strategy Associates will align on specific strategic projects and goals at the beginning of their engagement. BSAs will review progress towards their goals and adapt their priorities through bi-weekly 1-1s with a Partner and quarterly team strategy sessions. Also, all BSAs will have the opportunity to define and work on personal professional development goals.
- ● Demonstrated passion for our mission to build high impact, commercially scalable ventures in Energy, Agriculture and Mobility in Sub-Saharan Africa to address some of Africa’s greatest income inequality and climate issues
- ● Leadership experience in a professional, educational or community setting (experience managing another employee, starting a new company or organization, leading a volunteer project, captain of sports team, etc)
- ● 2-3+ years of business research, business analysis, project management, or management consulting experience
- ● Strong professional verbal, written, visual communication and presentation skills
- ● Experience analyzing qualitative and quantitative data to inform strategy and decision making
- ● Demonstrated ability to contribute to a strong team culture and build and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- ● Must be comfortable self-managing multiple priorities and partners concurrently, thrive in the face of change and uncertainty, and be motivated to drive projects forward
- ● Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude.
- ● Strong references and demonstration of high performance and reliability
- ● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- ● Experience in the energy, agriculture or mobility sectors
- ● Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment in Africa
Please submit your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Business Strategy Associate”. Please include a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team.
We are building a diverse and inclusive leadership team. Candidates from African countries and women are particularly encouraged to apply for this role. But Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.