Factor[e] Ventures is a global impact investment firm with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Fort Collins, USA, and London, UK. Factor[e] identifies, validates, de-risks, and invests in highly-scalable, socially meaningful technology ventures that can help drive development through access to energy, agriculture, transportation, and waste & resource management. We’re very engaged post-investment, helping our ventures develop the strategies, hone the technologies, build the teams, and raise the funds they need to achieve impact at scale.
Design Researcher, Nairobi, Kenya – 6 months (full-time)
About the Role
We are looking for a dynamic researcher to join one of our venture building teams and support one of our venture teams with customer focused field and market research that will be both qualitative and quantitative. The design researcher will use both human-centred design (also referred to as design research or design thinking) and quantitative market research methodology to probe, assess and evaluate behaviours and desires of targeted groups of people and then together with the venture team, translate that knowledge into meaningful information and system designs to inform and improve our ventures. The researcher must be comfortable synthesising and analysing big data sets and qualitative data sets from field interviews.
To succeed in this role, the ideal candidate will have experience doing field research in both urban and rural Kenya, would know how to observe, interview and draw insights from people being interviewed, excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Swahili and English and also love to marry field observations with desk research. All venture studio team members must also be committed to a mission-driven, collaborative, open and high performing team culture within the studio.
This position will be based in the Factor[e] office in Nairobi, Kenya, with some travel across various parts of Kenya.
- – Field Research Support
Partner fully with product owners, designers, and engineers to scope, plan and execute qualitative and quantitative research to understand the needs and trends of our end-users and customers
- – Ability to execute human centred design and user research methods; when to use them and how to apply them correctly. This may include, but not be limited to user interviews, surveys, and competitor analysis, HMWs, card sort etc.
- – Ability to effectively synthesise and communicate insights from HCD and desk research data
- – Lead and execute field product trials in line with the project objective
- – Define, structure, and conduct in-person or remote human centred research according to project objectives
- – Draft effective questionnaires, polls, surveys, and other data collection resources.
- – Together with venture team, synthesise research to identify jobs to be done, product use cases, and user and customer types etc
- – Support in putting together materials that clearly communicate research findings with a strategic voice, prioritised recommendations and next steps with potential design solutions to other project stakeholders in the venture studios.
- – Desk Research and Other Support
- – Conduct rigorous, but efficient primary and secondary quantitative research on topics strategically relevant to the venture such as market size, trends, headwinds, tailwinds, solution and competitive landscape, revenue and cost analysis, gaps and opportunities for a range of sectors, products and customer segments
- – Conduct research to explore and evaluate desired experiences, analyse research data, present findings, and make prioritised design recommendations
- – Collaborate with beneficiaries and other stakeholders to co-create desired product / experiences
- – Support in delivery of insightful presentations that frame complex problems and identify the business value of acting on research recommendations.
- – Support the development of venture build materials for external and internal use
- – Other tasks as needed
Required Qualifications and mindset
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- – 2-4 years of research experience in Kenya culminating in a sound ability to scope a research process, execute fieldwork, conduct interviews and do desk research.
- – Qualification in and/or experience using human centred design (design research / design thinking) research methodologies.
- – Experienced field researcher; ability to professionally manage very intense research methods, and work within a team environment.
- – Knowledge of research approaches, tools, and ways to present findings.
- – Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- – Work well independently and in teams.
- – Willingness to travel outside Nairobi to remote Kenya for a couple days at a time.
- – Very fluent in written and verbal English and Kiswahili language
- – Ability to prioritise and handle multiple on-going assignments
- – Ability to synthesise research findings, uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design.
- – Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercise a balance between research rigour and inspiration.
- – High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- – Openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- – Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude.
- – Strong references and demonstration of high performance and reliability
- – Experience working in the sanitation sector in Kenya
- – Experience working in the impact space in Kenya
To Apply: Please submit your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Design Researcher”. Please include a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team.
Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community and we encourage all candidates to apply, especially women and candidates based on the ground in Africa close to the customers and markets we serve. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.