Factor[e] Ventures is a global investment and venture building firm with offices in Kenya, USA, and UK. Our mission is to invest in and build technology-enabled ventures in energy, agriculture, mobility and smart infrastructure that are addressing the greatest climate and income inequality challenges in Africa and India. If you are passionate about this mission and interested in joining our team, see below for open roles or reach out to tell us more about how you could contribute.
Full-Stack Engineer | Remote – Full Time | 6 Month Contract
About the Role
We are looking for a highly skilled Full Stack Engineer to work directly with one of our studio ventures as they enter a rapid
prototyping and building phase. The selected candidate will be responsible for rapidly developing a functioning prototype capable of onboarding the first 5-10 customers for the new venture.
The role will report directly to one of the Co-Founders of the project and work closely with both Co-Founders, the studio team,
and an external engineering team in an agile environment focused on delivering working software on a weekly basis.
This position will be remote. There’s a need to be flexible in work hours (within reason) to align with a global team based in
California and the UK. There is a chance that 1-2 pan-African trips may be required including to the Factor[e] studio offices in
About the Venture
Factor(e) previously supported a company called Odyssey that has successfully facilitated over $1 billion in financing to off-grid
energy providers. Odyssey offers an end-to-end investment and asset management platform for distributed energy infrastructure. It does this by providing streamlined and automated data collection and analysis to support energy providers and financiers through the process of submitting proposals for funding, due diligence, and performance monitoring.
Factor(e) is again working with Odyssey to expand their tools and services to water financing to accelerate the financing needed
to achieve SDG6. This platform will enable financiers to streamline their discovery, diligence and tracking of investments. In doing so it will address the identified constraints of finding sufficient pipelines of investable water service providers and creating standardized metrics to evaluate and monitor their performance. This should expedite funds already committed for water services, while lowering the barrier to entry for new financiers to water services.
Our market research has confirmed the need for this tool and service and informed our product specifications. We are now
beginning to rapidly build an MVP for testing with our first client and generating further feedback from our next client. The tool
will ultimately support water service financing in markets across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
- Recommend, agree on and implement the tech stack for development of the application prototype
- Develop features and functionality for the application to support an MVP launch of the venture build
- Collaborate with co-founders on a weekly sprint cycle with daily stand-ups to ensure rapid, iterative and customer-
- Collaborate with external development teams for style-guidelines, code-review and input on key architectural decisions.
- Create and maintain documentation pertaining to systems design and environment set-up for team onboarding and
- Participate in feedback sessions with external software testers (e.g. potential pilot clients)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years experience, at least partially in a fast-paced startup environment with significant individual responsibility
- Expert in one or more server-side language (Java, Python preferred)
- Comfort architecting software per modern software design patterns (MVP, MVC design patterns, Service Orientated
- Database administration and data management skills (RDBMS and preferably also NoSQL)Architecture)
- Prior experience with software design for testability (white-box, unit testing)
- Experience with Agile software development practices
- Experience with git and GitHub based source code management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- A passion for working on high-impact projects that are focused on improving quality of life in developing countries
To Apply: Please submit your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Full Stack Engineer.” Please
include a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team.
We are building a diverse and inclusive leadership team. Candidates from African countries and women are particularly encouraged to apply for this role. But Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community and we encourage all candidates to apply, especially women and candidates based on the ground in Africa close to the customers and markets we serve. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.