Factor[e] Ventures is a global investment and venture building firm with offices in Kenya, USA, and UK. Our mission is to invest in and build technology-enabled ventures in energy, agriculture, mobility and smart infrastructure that are addressing the greatest climate and income inequality challenges in Africa and India. If you are passionate about this mission and interested in joining our team, see below for open roles or reach out to tell us more about how you could contribute.
Investment Associate | African sub-continent; flexible on specific location (Nairobi or Lagos preferred) – Full Time
About Factor[e] Ventures
Factor[e] Ventures is a global impact investment firm with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Fort Collins, USA, and London, UK. Factor[e] identifies, validates, de-risks, and invests in highly-scalable, socially meaningful technology ventures that can help drive development through access to energy, agriculture, transportation, and waste & resource management. We’re very engaged post-investment, helping our ventures develop the strategies, hone the technologies, build the teams, and raise the funds they need to achieve impact at scale.A
About the role
Factor[e] Ventures is seeking an Associate to add to our global team. The position will be based in East or West Africa. The successful candidate will have a strong finance and early-stage investment background and solid academic qualifications in a relevant business or finance, social science, engineering, or scientific field. In addition, candidates with technology or innovation and start-up company experience are preferred. The Associate position is expected to require 25% travel to other emerging markets and the United States for evaluation of venture opportunities, venture support, and working in-person with Factor[e] global team members.
The Associate will be a key member of our team in Africa. The Associate will work to further Factor[e]’s mission to improve lives in the developing world through increased access to sustainable energy and related services. He/she/they will support Factor[e]’s overall investment strategy and process, including deal sourcing, pipeline generation, and investment thesis development. He/she/they will also support multiple portfolio companies, providing active and frequent guidance in relation to product development, technology de-risking, team buildout, and execution of co-developed plans.
This position reports to a Director at Factor[e] Ventures.
Roles and Responsibilities
- – Support deal sourcing, working up of investment opportunities, and presentation of deals to Factor[e]’s Investment Committee.
- – Build financial and investment models for deals and inform financial/commercial investment strategy.
- – Support portfolio companies by advancing strategic planning for company growth, and engaging in business model and operational design.
- – Develop an actionable network of entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, and sector leaders to advance Factor[e]’s work across its portfolio and geographies. As part of this work, the Associate will work to deepen Factor[e]’s network of African entrepreneurs and sourcing nodes of entrepreneurs from the continent.
- – 5+ years of direct experience working in finance or investment, ideally venture capital.
- – Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, or a related field.
- – Demonstrated financial or other investment modeling skills.
- – Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including the global Factor[e] team and Board of Directors, portfolio company executives, external partners, and other collaborators.
- – Comfortable switching between working autonomously and in groups depending on the task
- – Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude .
- – Eagerness to spend time in the field in the developing economies to build an understanding of how a technology or business can impact customers and end-users.
- – Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks efficiently, without sacrificing work quality.
- – Strong written and verbal English and strong presentation skills.
- – MBA or similar advanced degree.
- – Prior experience in technology or innovation roles and demonstrated technical literacy.
- – Experience in ag, energy, mobility or fintech sectors.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name – Investment Associate”.
Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community and we encourage all candidates to apply, especially women and candidates based on the ground in Africa close to the customers and markets we serve. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.