Factor[e] Ventures is a global investment and venture building firm with offices in Kenya, USA, and UK. Our mission is to invest in and build technology-enabled ventures in energy, agriculture, mobility and smart infrastructure that are addressing the greatest climate and income inequality challenges in Africa and India. If you are passionate about this mission and interested in joining our team, see below for open roles or reach out to tell us more about how you could contribute.
Investment Director | Lagos, Nigeria – Full Time
About the role
Management: This position reports to the Managing Partner of Factor[e] Ventures
Factor[e] Ventures is seeking an Investment Director to add to our global team. Candidates must have extensive entrepreneurial experience, with significant exposure to technology and innovation and early-stage investment experience, preferably within venture capital. Strong knowledge of our target customer, and a robust network are preferred; a background in energy or ag technologies is a plus.
The Director will work to further Factor[e]’s mission to improve lives in the developing world through investment in disruptive technology ventures. She/he/they will co-lead Factor[e]’s overall investment strategy and process, including investment thesis development, pipeline generation, and deal sourcing. She/he/they will also manage multiple portfolio companies, providing active and frequent guidance in relation to product-market-fit, go-to-market strategy, technology de-risking, team buildout, and execution of co-developed plans.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Director position will:
- Lead deal sourcing, working up of investment opportunities, and presentation of deals to Factor[e]’s Investment Committee.
- Provide thought leadership and mentorship to investment team on investment strategy.
- Manage portfolio companies by serving as a Director on behalf of Factor[e], advancing strategic planning for company growth, engaging in business model and operational design, building and maintaining deep understanding of portfolio company technologies, assisting with company fundraising efforts, identifying and combatting technology risks, and advising in early product development.
- Develop an actionable network of entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, and sector leaders to advance Factor[e]’s work across its portfolio and geographies.
- Represent Factor[e] in key industry fora, with our most important partners, and with current and prospective funders and investment partners.
- 8+ years of entrepreneurial experience in West African markets.
- Experience operating at senior management/board level with start-up, high-growth companies.
- 5+ years of early-stage investment experience either within venture capital or fundraising as an entrepreneur.
- Technical literacy that provides an ability to invest in the variety of energy and other technology ventures in which we invest.
- Ability to lead Factor[e] investment activities in West Africa and represent the firm at conferences, speaking events, and with prospective partners and investees.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including the global Factor[e] team and Board of Directors, portfolio company executives, external partners, and other collaborators.
- Comfortable switching between working autonomously and in groups depending on the task.
- Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude.
- Strong interest and alignment with Factor[e]’s mission to build high-impact ventures that scale across the continent.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks efficiently, without sacrificing work quality.
- Deep market and customer understanding and a strong commitment to rolling up your sleeves and being on the ground to get to the heart of the opportunities we pursue from the bottom up.
- Effective communicator/presenter that is comfortable speaking to a variety of audiences.
- Strong written and verbal English.
- Demonstrated ability to bring technology to market.
- Experience in ag, energy sectors, mobility or fintech sectors.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name – Investment Director”.
Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community and we encourage all candidates to apply, especially women and candidates based on the ground in Africa close to the customers and markets we serve. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.