Factor[e] Ventures is a global investment and venture building firm with offices in Kenya, USA, and UK. Our mission is to invest in and build technology-enabled ventures in energy, agriculture, mobility and smart infrastructure that are addressing the greatest climate and income inequality challenges in Africa and India. If you are passionate about this mission and interested in joining our team, see below for open roles or reach out to tell us more about how you could contribute.
Investment Principal | Nairobi, Kenya – Full Time
About the role
Factor[e] Ventures is seeking an Investment Principal to play a leadership role in our global investment team. We are looking for candidates with a unique combination of early-stage investment experience and entrepreneurial experience in energy, agriculture, or other technology sectors – although candidates of all backgrounds who can create impact in this role are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of our investment sectors and markets, technology fluency, and experience managing a team.
This position will report to the Managing Partner and support Factor[e]’s overall investment strategy and process, while leading regional pipeline generation, deal sourcing, portfolio development and investment team growth. The Investment Principal will also provide Board support and other post-investment support to multiple portfolio companies, providing active and frequent guidance in relation to product-market-fit, go-to-market strategy, technology de-risking, team buildout, and growth plans.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Principal position will:
- Provide leadership and management to the investment team, including hiring, onboarding, and the development of directors, associates, and analysts.
- Lead deal sourcing, work up of investment opportunities, and present deals to Factor[e]’s Investment Committee.
- Provide thought leadership and mentorship to the investment team around investment strategy and approach.
- Manage portfolio companies by serving as a Board Director on behalf of Factor[e], advancing strategic planning for company growth, engaging in business model and operational design, building and maintaining deep understanding of portfolio company technologies, assisting with company fundraising efforts, identifying and combating technology risks, and advising in early product development.
- Develop an actionable network of entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, and sector leaders to advance Factor[e]’s work across its portfolio and geographies.
- Represent Factor[e] in key industry fora, with our most important partners, and with current and prospective funders and investment partners.
- 8+ years of experience building, developing & managing teams
- 5+ years of early-stage investment experience either within venture capital or fundraising as an entrepreneur.
- Technical literacy in the variety of energy, agriculture, water, mobility, and other technology ventures in which we invest.
- A desire to engage directly with underserved, low-income communities, to develop a first-hand understanding of the problems we aim to solve and the people we aim to serve.
- Ability to lead Factor[e] investment activities in Africa and represent the firm at conferences, speaking events, and with prospective partners and investees.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including the global Factor[e] team and Board of Directors, portfolio company executives, external partners, and other collaborators.
- Comfort switching between working autonomously and in groups depending on the task. • Positive, encouraging, collaborative attitude.
- Strong interest in and alignment with Factor[e]’s mission to build high-impact ventures that scale across the continent.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks efficiently, without sacrificing work quality.
- Effective communication/presentation skills; ability to speak to a variety of audiences.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (English).
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in joining the Factor[e] team to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name – Investment Principal”.
Factor(e) Ventures does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Factor(e) Ventures is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community and we encourage all candidates to apply, especially women and candidates based on the ground in Africa close to the customers and markets we serve. To achieve that goal, we may conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.